Monday, June 16, 2008

JET Programme - application timeline

like i mentioned below, the application was a long drawn out process. before applying, you must be prepared for the huge amount of waiting that u're going to be in for. check this out:

Sep 07: Applications opened; application forms released
End-Nov 07: Deadline for applications
14th Feb 08: Interview
Early March: Was informed that i have been approved by the Embassy in Singapore - the 1st stage of the screening process - and have to await approval by the various Japanese personnel.
Early April: Was notified that i have passed the 2nd stage of the screening process and am scheduled for placement in a contracting organisation. The catch? I'm still on a shortlist (from which i can be eliminated) and my placement is possible in only almost all cases.
24th May: Received the confirmation of my placement to Osaka City!
16th June: Received the Terms and Conditions of Employment - my contract.

As you can see, it took about half a year since applications closed before i knew for sure that yes, i'm going to Japan, and i'm going to have a job, and i dont have to worry about finding a job now, in late may, after most of the graduates have already secured their careers, and that i can start making plans for the next few months of my life rather than hanging there, in limbo, waiting for the letter that determines what i should be doing next.

frankly, when i read the letter informing me of my posting, i was feeling relief more than any other emotion - relief that i no longer had to worry about whether i would be going to Japan or not! friends whom i had spoken to would testify that in the second half of May, the more i waited, the more i worried that i wouldnt be able to go on the JET programme after all :P

but this is not the end, as:

Late June: Received my address after sending over my Statement of Acceptance.
July: Orientation and brief events at the Embassy of Japan, Singapore
3rd August 08: Depart for Japan!

9 comments:

Janice said...

Hi Joanne. May I asked through which channel will we be informed if we are selected for the first stage of screening? And when will we be first informed? It is almost mid-Jan and I have heard no news yet.

jo~ said...

Hi Janice,

I dont think I was informed very early about the interview. Perhaps only 2 weeks in advance?

Janice said...

Thanks for your reply! I asked cos the paper stated that the interview (first stage, written application) will be in Jan, so I am worried... =X

Janice said...

Hi sorry, I forgot to ask you something... How did they inform you? Email? Mail?

jo~ said...

I believe it was email.. but I'm notsure actually..

Janice said...

Ok, thanks for your reply!!

Harris said...

Was just about to ask the same Q...been opening my letter box everyday since early Jan..was wondering if my application had been rejected already..kinda glad to know that you're informed 2 wks in advance..still some hope left..

Audi said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you go about finding an apt and how soon after the orientation did you start working

jo~ said...

Hi Audi,

My apartment was allocated by my employer, the Osaka Board of Education. This should be the case for all JETs. I think I started work about a week (or 10 days) after orientation, as I was in Group B. Group A arrived in Japan about a week before I did.